Saint Rita of Cascia fan facts:
* Her name is Margherita.
* Her parents were known as Conciliatori di Cristo, because they were peacemakers among the neighbors.
* Rita endured in silence and with great patience her husband’s insults, physical abuse and infidelities.
* She finally conquered her husband’s conversion to Christianity.
* She prayed to God for Him to take her sons’ life to avoid their vengeance to their father’s death. They died in peace after severe infirmity. Rita used to tell them Jesus’ stories and it calmed them down.
* She wanted to be a nun, but the convent didn’t accept her because she didn’t know how to read. One night her patron saints took her there in a vision. She was actually inside the convent and the doors were all locked.
* The other sisters were jealous of her miracles and used to bully her. The chief asked her to water a dry wood stick twice every day. She made it obediently while the others laughed at her. After three months it gave beautiful flowers. The tree is there until now.
* She so admired the Passion of Christ that she prayed so she shared the same suffering. She had a thorn stigma in her forehead for years.
* Her stigma wound used to smell bad, so all the girls backed away and she spent 15 years all alone. At the day of her death the wound exhaled roses scent in honor of her shame and humbleness.